Thanks to all who came to my talk today on “Music in Bhutan: Himalayan Connections.” The link below contains my presentation with all the links to musical examples; they should work from the PDF, or you may copy them into your browser.
Here are some further resources:
- Ter Ellingson, Mandala of Sound: Concepts and Sound Structures in Tibetan Ritual Music (PhD dissertation, University of Wisconsin, 1979)
- Khenpo Phuntsok Tashi, Invoking Happiness: Guide to the sacred festivals of Bhutan & Gross National Happiness (Thimpu: Self-published, 2011)
- Sonam Kinga, The Attributes and Values of Folk and Popular Songs (Journal of Bhutan Studies, 2001)
- Sonam Dorji, producer, Music of the Mountains of Bhutan (Smithsonian Folkways, 2015)
- J.S. Suskiewicz, producer, Music of the Bhutan (Smithsonian Folkways, 1978). Includes songs in Nepali from Southern Bhutan.
- Bhutan Foundation partnership with Music of Bhutan Research Center run by Sonam Dorji
This talk was part of the events associated with the East-West Center Bhutan exhibit; further events and an introduction to the exhibit can be found here.
Thanks to curators Michael Schuster and Annie Reynolds for the invitation, and Eric Chang and Hunter for help with setup.